Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fiafias, Beautiful Beaches, Snorkeling…Welcome to the South Pacific!

Wow! I have been reading through my journal to update all of you on what has been going on before going to the village on Saturday, and we certainly have been spoiled. Saturday night was the fiafia- so much fun! We meet a ton of other volunteers and heard all about their experiences here. They performed Samoan dances for us and two of the volunteers sang a song. All the volunteers brought food, so we feasted on Samoan food! Oka (raw fish), palusami (coconut cream wrapped in taro leaves), fish, breadfruit, banana cake, ... Of course, we all had coconuts to drink too!

Sunday was a trip to the beach---called Paradise Beach, and they were not kidding! White sand, warm turquoise-colored water, coconut trees, and little fales (little thatched roof structures). We learned how to husk a coconut and crack it open to get the juice (sort of, our trainers got a good laugh out of watching us). I tossed around a frisbee, read and enjoyed the ocean.

Monday we had training throughout the day. Another Peace Corps Volunteer stopped by wondering if we wanted to run (my roommate and I have run a few times by the sea wall) at night. I went for a run with her and met 2 girls from New Zealand and one who lives here. It was awesome to start forming connections with people who live here and to talk with them. It will also be great for my Samoan when I get a little better at it!

Water safety training yesterday---oh my goodness! We drove to the east side of the island, and took a boat out to learn about currents and marine life to be aware of. We then had the opportunity to snorkel around for awhile! I now know what you were talking about Dad with seeing such beautiful bright colored fish. We saw stone fish, zebra fish, beautiful blue and green fish, a turtle swimming, and I got to hold a sea cucumber. One of the best parts of the day, beside the beautiful water, was the bus ride, just looking out and reflecting. So nice to see so many people playing volleyball and rugby, so much uninhabited peaceful land, and so many smiling people, who waved when they saw us. It is definitely a different place here and we have just begun to learn about the rich culture.

To answer your questions---yes Aunt Nancy, you would be amazed at all the fabric here! Such vibrant colors and neat patterns! And different types of material. And Christy, I definitely have seen a lot of kids running around—maybe someone wants a Nanny? (Good luck on all your job interviews! I am sending the best of luck on finding what you want!) Aunt Marki, we are getting our puletasi’s tomorrow---I will have to post some pictures when we get back from the village. Also, Preston, you would love the hot chocolate here--it is called milo, better than any Swiss Miss!

Alofa ia te oa, I love you all!

Love, Sally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home