Wednesday, October 11, 2006

In the world they call PARADISE!

Talofa! (Hello!)

Great flight in this morning! I slept the whole way, except for waking up for meals (typical me). We arrived in the airport early this morning and were greeted by fellow volunteers already in the country and some of the Peace Corps staff. They put leis around us (mine was pink and green---beautiful colors!). We drove through villages to the capital of Apia, (on the local buses) where we are staying. The houses are incredible- open houses and very colorful with lots of kids playing outside. It is very hard to describe but there is such a peaceful feeling here, and lots of smiling people. Lots of sunshine too and 80s---gorgeous! and it is the same everyday (except usually it rains). We had bananas and papaya for breakfast, chatted with current volunteers, and then went to an ava ceremony. We all wore lava-lavas, and drank the ava drink. It is a huge ceremony in the culture here and used to welcome visitors and other events. Hopefully, when I go to another one, I will understand a little more of what is going on! We then had a great lunch---breadfruit which is like a pootato, but better, rice, chicken, and best of all, got to drink from a coconut! We then had some language training and now have the rest of the night to explore Apia.

I am definitely enjoying Samoa, and everyone has been so warm and welcoming!

Love you all! Tofa! (Bye!)
Sally

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger *Jas* said...

Talofa Sally,
I hope you don't mind my leaving a comment, I was just browsing through blogs from Samoa. So I see that you are in the Peace Corps and have recently arrived in Samoa! Just yesterday actually! Wow, how do you like it so far? Do you know where you will be living and what you will be doing? That's just so wonderful! Ok, a bit about myself... I'm a Samoan born in the US, lived here most of my life. I actually spent ages 10-13 living in Samoa (and one of my teachers was in the Peace Corps)! I visit frequently (my family is mostly in the Apia area), and I just got back from spending 3 weeks there about a month ago now. I miss it a lot though and wish I could be back. Anyway, I'll be checking on your adventures in Samoa. Good luck, I think you'll really enjoy it!!!
~ Jasmine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home